Promenade de la Croisette(or Boulevard de la Croisette) is a prominent road in Cannes, France. It stretches along the shore of the Mediterranean Sea and is about 2 km long. The Croisette is known for the Palais des Festivals et des Congrès, where the Cannes Film Festival (Le Festival International du Film de Cannes) is held. Many expensive shops, restaurants, and hotels (such as the Carlton, Majestic, JW Marriott Cannes, and Martinez) line the road. It goes completely along the coastline of Cannes.
La Croisette Boulevard, or Boulevard de la Croisette, is the heart of Cannes, with luxury hotels, designer shops, and glittering nightlife spots lining the way along the curving coast. On the other side of the boulevard reside Cannes famous sandy beaches. It extends completely along the spectacular Cannes coastline. The boulevard overlooks the impressive harbor which is home to extravagant yachts and a pirate ship built for a film.
The eastern section of the boulevard extends south at the lovely Parc de la Roseraie, curves along the Port Pierre Canto and ends at the southern tip of the Pointe de la Croisette near the Port du Palm beach. On the east side of the cape lies the charming Boulevard Eugène- Gazagnaire and its lovely beach, which extends north to the Port du Moure Rouge. The Croisette is the main drag of Cannes and features many of its major attractions.
Throughout the area you can find many beautiful mural’s, mostly depicting historic film shoot’s and actors. At this spot next to the splendid Hotel you can find all the buses and taxi’s which normally depart from the Cannes Train Station, but during Festival de Cannes they depart from here instead. This information is helpfully written in French in the bus stop’s, which is great unless you only speak english.
The Croisette is listed in the cultural heritage general inventory of France. One hundred years ago Cannes had no business tourism. The town, however, was known as a prized destination for people coming to escape the winter. Hotel Splendid graced the Allées de la Liberté when the Carlton, Majestic and Martinez Palaces had not yet seen light of day. On 15 June 1758, the Abbot of Lérins gifted a plot of land by the sea, where Hotel Splendid now stands, for a new chapel to be built. However, work on it stopped in 1764 and the chapel was never completed. In 1771 the building was sold to J.F. Bournin, a merchant from Grasse who turned it into a soap factory. He eventually went bankrupt and resold it to a Mr Gazielle who turned it into an oil and wheat shop, then into an inn. The inn looked onto an expanse of dunes and a small stream. Fishermen used to haul their boats into it for protection.
It was there on the night of 1-2 March 1815, after setting off from Golfe Juan, that a small crew from the Isle of Elba with their legendary leader Napoleon spent their first night on French soil. The street name Rue Bivouac Napoléon commemorates this brief sojourn. Legend has it that Pauline Bonaparte once stayed at the small Gazielle Inn. In December 1834, Lord Brougham discovered Cannes and contributed greatly to its development and growth. On 4 June 1838, the Port of Cannes was born. In 1871 the Boulevard de la Croisette was completed, pavements were laid and palm trees planted: the curtain rose on the pomp and splendour of the “Belle Epoque”. Land in town was going for only two francs a square metre, and barely more than 50 centimes along the sandy Croisette. The small inn grew. Eventually the Hotel Splendid was built on the site of that inn, boasting a ground floor and three upper storeys. The opera composer Jacques Offenbach spent the winter of 1874 at Hotel Splendid. In 1905 it was considerably extended, two more storeys added and was officially named Hotel SPLENDID.
Cannes at that time had only winter tourism. Its hotels shut their doors for the summer due to the heat. On 24 August 1944, at the height of the Second World War, German delaying units stationed in Cannes were ordered to destroy the beachfront, hotels and public buildings to slow the Allied advance before retreating to Nice. Under questioning by the Groupe Jean Marie French resistance, at 2 am that same day German Colonel Schneider revealed the fire control centre: the basement of Hotel Splendid. It was immediately neutralised, the town was spared and the Allies continued their advance unhindered. After the War, Cannes continued to grow as did Hotel Splendid’s reputation in the heart of the city…
The Majestic Barrière is on La Croisette in Cannes, 110 m from Palais des Festivals and the old port.
Guests of the Majestic Barrière can enjoy massage and relaxation therapies in the hotel spa and relax on the hotel’s beach side sunbathing terrace. Access the hotel’s private beach is free of charge, and lounge chairs can be rented on site.
The hotel also has a beach restaurant and an on-site restaurant La Petite Maison de Nicole, offering traditional cuisine. Guests can enjoy a drink in the Barrière’s bar and visit the well-known casino.
The InterContinental Carlton Cannes is just a 25 minute drive from Nice Côte d’Azur Airport and 5 minutes from Cannes train station.
There is a Vintage merry-go-round carousel with horses and other animals for kids at Croisette promenade, Le Suquet is the old quarter of Cannes, probably best known to tourists as the climbing, winding cobbled lane lined with local restaurants, Rue St Antoine.
Le Suquet contains a clock tower and church that sit highfacing east overlooking the Bay of Cannes and Cannes itself. At the bottom of Le Suquet on Rue Dr. P. Gazagnaire is the Marché Forville, where the market is held in the mornings and early afternoon. This area is the original fishermans’ residential area of Cannes. The houses are all very old. The streets were laid out at least 400 years ago. It is a 5-minute walk from the beach and is full of restaurants around the Rue Saint Antoine and the Rue du Suquet. A lot of the area is pedestrianised and is a major tourist attraction for visitors to Cannes. The rue du Suquet is the original main road into Cannes. It came in below the walls of the castle (very good for defence). Ironically it is a pedestrian street again but full of good quality gourmet restaurants
The Museum of Castre is up Castre at the top of the hill of Suquet , in Cannes , in the ruins of the medieval castle of the monks of Lérins . This ” museum of France ” presents the collections belonging to the city of Cannes: primitive arts (or first) Himalaya-Tibet, Arctic, pre-Columbian America, Oceania, Mediterranean antiques , musical instruments of the world in Asia, Africa , Oceania, America, landscape painting of the nineteenth century with the little masters of Provence . Built on top of the hill of Suquet overlooking the bay , all the museum buildings form one of the few witnesses of the Middle Ages in Cannes. It was built from the eleventh century on the initiative of the monks of Lérins , installed in their famous abbey on the Saint-Honorat island since the fifth century. Convent building ( monastery male), it is built on a quadrangular plan, like a castle with dungeon , and it includes in its defensive walls a main building and a chapel . In the middle of the central courtyard stands a tower square whose height could allow lookout. For the princes of the church who were the abbots of Lérins, lords of much of the region, the castle of Cannes marked its architectural majesty that required the coastal landscape. Damaged at the end of the sixteenth century, the castle was partially destroyed in the eighteenth century by order of the Bishop of Grasse . Sold as national property during the Revolution to the Hibbert family, he served as housing remains until 1878, when it was leased to manufacture ceramic “The Mont Chevalier art pottery.” In 1919, the town of Cannes acquires all the buildings to house the museum. The tower and the Chapel of St. Anne , together with the church of Our Lady of Hope a set classified MH by order of 28 July 1937 .
Castre Museum: The museum garden A first garden planted with trees Mediterranean , including large pine trees , welcomes the walker. It is the prelude to the entrance of the museum visitors. After visiting the collections, the visitor arrives in the courtyard of the museum in the center of which is located the watch tower of the ancient castle of Cannes. From the top of the 109 steps of the medieval tower , a 360 ° view awaits the visitor.