Rue Saint Sauveur The old Cannet (also called “Le Cannet Mairie”): historical heart of the city, it is full of a rich cultural heritage / architectural (chapels, churches, towers …) and artistic (many arts craftsmen are present along the rue Saint Sauveur main pedestrian route). The ancient hamlets mentioned above (the Dany, the Ardisson, Calvy …) and around the old Cannet form a “buffer” between the old heart and the modern city. Le Cannet has a heritage and a history to defend the artists and artisans of Art Cannet participate.
They have preserved and update traditions where talent and inspiration sometimes combine contemporary design. The range of professions represented in the rue Saint-Sauveur is rich and varied: sculptor, ceramist, painter, jeweler, gilder, goldsmith, lacquer, tapestry, maker or designer.
Bonnard stayed in Le Cannet from 1922 to 1947. He rented three villas before acquiring in 1926 Le Bosquet , a house on the heights of the city where he finally retired in 1939 until his death in 1947 . The landscapes of Le Cannet and the light of the South are for him inexhaustible sources of inspiration . It was during this period, which lasts about 22 years , he painted his most inspired paintings , those specialists agree that they are his finest works . Bonnard will produce more than three hundred works in Cannet , some intimate, inspired by his private universe (inside his house, garden), but also the landscape of the city and more generally the South, where the subject is a pretext an explosion of color and light and for the development of a new pictorial space. There he purchased in 1926 the Villa Le Bosquet and spent over twenty years. During this period he painted his most inspired paintings, those specialists agree that they are his finest works .
Wall Lovers of Peynet The Peynet wall Timeless, this mural painted on a wall of an old house from the street is almost unavoidable destination for honeymooners. Enlivening the street, she is the symbol of the joy of life in Le Cannet. Co-produced by the fresco painter Guy CEPPA in 1990, this mural is a metaphor of love symbolized by newlyweds flying over the garden Eden inspired by the city of Le Cannet. Raymond PEYNET , honorary citizen of the city of Le Cannet, painted this work in honor of all newlyweds that he wanted to offer a poetic stage in their honeymoon. C ‘in 1942, in front of the bandstand of Valence Raymond PEYNET imagined his little couple. In tribute to love, his friend Georges Brassens wrote the famous song “park benches”.
St. Catherine’s Church St. Catherine’s Church Listed on the Inventory of Historical Monuments since October 29, 1926. The St. Catherine hamlet was formed around the small church built in the mid sixteenth century to satisfy the desire to organize a religious coexistence. Indeed, in 1551, the country only has a chapel dedicated to St. Joseph built in the heart of the hamlet of Calvys. There is a brotherhood of penitents whites, that of the “Beaten” to whom he is alleged to Mass at St. Joseph, while the parish is in Cannes. The need for a church large enough to accommodate an increase in population was felt. This will be the St. Catherine Church. St. Catherine Church Building Alexandria ended March 6, 1556 marks the beginning of discord Cannes with leading 9 August 1774 to separate the two cities. the Parish autonomy was achieved in 1560, when the oldest act of baptism recorded in Cannet.
St. Catherine’s Church Steeple This small sanctuary seduces us with its quality and authenticity . It consists of a nave with apse, three side chapels and a quadrangular tower preceded by a recent vestibule. Everything suggests that the church was not built in one piece and have experienced four successive agrandissemnts: that of the original chapel, then adding a nave south side and north side and finally, in 1854, the adding a porch. the porch of the church of St. Catherine is capped, simple and bleached. Its floor is covered with terracotta mallons. It is primed canvases (pasted on the ceiling), which may date from the eighteenth. Particularly interesting, the two great Baroque altars, the arch braces whose base has been set aside in recent excavations, baptismal fonts, tabernacles, large paintings and engravings, two remarkable paperoles and numerous votive offerings. to preserve this beautiful and significant sacred heritage, 500 m 2 about decorative wall painting and motifs were restored in 2001.
Chapelle Saint-Bernardin Listed on the Inventory of Historical Monuments since October 29, 1926. The San Bernardino Area is a place of cultural exhibitions. On June 19, 1552 , the White Penitents of the Order of St. Bernardin, who plan to build a chapel dedicated to St. Bernardin , receive donation land adjoining the church St. Catherine. so this is where they build their chapel at the top of the steep ascent to the Salita. The two buildings merge into a single building with two towers different. Long attached to the large fraternity of White Penitents Chapel San Bernardino became the Revolution the office of the credit company Sans-Culottes Le Cannet. It has a quadrangular tower whose high tower of 18 meters is topped by a polygonal bell tower finished with a dome covered with colored tiles. Finally abandoned in 1924, this chapel is today (as of 11 May 1999) a place of cultural exhibitions (contemporary art, photos …).
Chapelle Notre-Dame-des-Anges Chapel Lady of the Angels Listed on the Inventory of Historical Monuments since December 22, 1941. The Chapel was built in 1557 according to the testamentary will of a member of one of the founding famillles Cannet: Guillaume CALVY . This ordering is done ” a chapel in honor of God, of Our Lady of the Angels and St. Crépin, in the vineyard, at a place called the Valley of Malleys ” (St. Crispin is the patron of shoemakers, profession William CALVY). The set consists of a nave of dimly lit rectangular plan and an open porch on the outside. The entrance porch is a large bay semicircular falling on molded capitals. This porch is called “narthex”, this construction allowed the catechumens to follow religious services without entering the church (This same narthex, which was destroyed at the Chapelle Saint-Sauveur 20 November 1884 to enlarge the street Saint-Sauveur). Two walls completed by pillars frame a wooden door from closing the porch halfway. On the side façades are pierced three arches falling on piles of beaded abacus. An ocher coating covers the outside of the nave while the arch and pillars are coated in white. This chapel is now used for the exercise of worship Greek Orthodox , but is reserved for Catholic worship in the Mass of the Nativity September 8 of each year .
St. Philomena Church St. Philomena Church The parish Church of St. Catherine is no longer sufficient to the needs of a population that kept increasing, Abbot Bovis, pastor of Le Cannet, decided to build a larger and clearer. Many Cannettans offer money or gifts, but the municipality refused to participate in the business. Abbot Bovis realizes a tour of France to raise money for its construction. Upon his return, he received a plot in the city center. Work began on 1 st October 1877 , still without the approval of the municipality. Cult to Open April 2, 1882 , but consecrated parish church in 1907 , it is called St. Philomena Church. Saint-Vianney in France helped to spread the devotion to this saint. The meeting of Abbot Bovis Jean Marie Baptiste Vianney, the Cure of Ars said, is the origin of this building and this cult. St. Philomena is the only canonized saint without that we know historically his life . Tradition has it that she died in the year 275 in Rome. The relics of this virgin, martyred under Diocletian, were discovered in 1802 in the catacombs of Rome. Faced with the many miracles caused by her relics, the Cure of Ars returning from a trip to Italy, suggested to the pastor of Cannet baptized by that name his new church.
City Hall – Bellini Room Bellini Room – Wedding Hall Bought in 1933 by Mayor Maurice Jeanpierre, the building was built in 1902 by Charles Grassier for the Hotel des Anges. The architect James Warnery who is the author of this construction. The most visited room of the City Hall is the marriage hall, called the Bellini room . Indeed, one can admire 5 works of Emmanuel Bellini , representing the joy of life in Le Cannet. As all the paintings of this painter, they are sincere, spontaneous, cheerful and colorful. He himself says that most of his work comes from the accumulation of recorded impressions and sensations felt in the days when nothing seemed to destine to become a painter. City Hall You can finish your journey by coming to dine in the old Cannet, the Place Bellevue where many restaurants are there to welcome you, in a green, indoor or outdoor. Also every Saturday during the summer, you may dine in a festive atmosphere, thanks to the excellent musical moments offered by the department of city events.
Street Vaults This winding street was built at a time when urban housing was tightened. The houses are built directly on large blocks of rough stones. We can see on the doorposts of cross Maltes carved symbol of order hospital. The monks abandon the priory of the street to install next to the church of St. Catherine of Alexandria.
Bellevue square Place Bellevue – Old Cannet Designated place ” Mercier Lacombe ” in 1855 in gratitude to the prefect of the Var for having given 1000 Francs for its expansion, it was renamed Place Bellevue in 1870 on a proposal from Mr. Charles Cessin, Councillor of the time.
Statue Victorien Sardou On the Bellevue site , we can also admire the bronze sculpture created in 1985 by Manuel Linares , artist-sculptor. The statue depicts the tragedian Victorien Sardou , illustrious descendant of a family of Le Cannet. Victorien Sardou is a playwright, born in Paris September 5, 1831 and died in Paris on November 8, 1908. He comes from a Provencal family that owned an olive grove in Le Cannet. During a particularly harsh winter, frost killed all the olive trees and ruined the family. Victorian father, Antoine Léandre Sardou, then moved to Paris. In 1839, recovering in Le Cannet, Victorien Sardou discovered the land of his ancestors. He spends most of his childhood in his father’s house in the eponymous street in Old Cannet. He wrote including “Madame Sans-Gene”, “the libretto of Tosca” … and collaborated among others with Sarah Bernhardt.